April 5, 2014

Dementia Senex - Heartworm (2013)




It's a bummer that I didn't discover these guys earlier, because I think this is the type of record that fits perfectly into my 'need to listen to obsessively' category.

Actually, scratch that. I KNOW this is what I've been waiting for, at least when it comes to doom metal. Because even if the band members describe their sound as 'a mix between death metal, post hardcore and sludge/doom', it is clear that the latter prevails. 

The whole EP exudes vibes of early age Anathema, My Dying Bride and to a certain extent, Swallow the Sun. Which is to say that if you're a fan of any of these bands, you'll recognize the trademarks of the genre immediately: angry and tortured growls, focused more on the emotional delivery rather than musical prowess, dueling guitars where the solo section consists not of actual solos, but of forming an extra layer that follows closely the vocals and adds immensely in terms of atmosphere, everything backed by a tight as hell rhythm section that never misses a beat. Sure, there are hints of other genres creeping in once in a while and the tempo can be quite high (especially on the second song, Kairos), but it's nothing that detracts from the overall experience or that feels misplaced in any way. 

With that said, my only complain about this release is that it leaves me wanting for a helluva lot more, so the guys better make do and put out a full lenght soon, else I'll be forced to close myself in a room and listen continuously to Unscented Walls.


Wait, that's not actually bad now, is it?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment