December 31, 2013

Volo's best albums of 2013


So, this is the first time that I'm doing a list at the end of the year, ever, be it grocery list or shit not to do in the next year list. After much soul and  record shops searching, I narrowed it down to 13 albums that really got me through the day in the year that's about to end. Without any more useless ramble, I give you the best of the best in my humble opinion.



Comadre - Self Titled



This was the first record I listened in 2013, and it stuck with me for the rest of the year. This record marked a changed in sound for Comadre, and you know, usually that sucks, but damn, is this a good record, I love it from the first to last song. Unfortunately, Comadre parted ways after some months this record came out, and I'm still pretty bummed out about it. RIP!

Melvins - Everybody Loves Sausage


Everyone this year got super crazy for Ghost BC's cover EP, but for me it did nothing, and I'm kind of pissed of this covers LP by Melvins got overlooked, I mean come one, Melvins covering David Bowie and Queen, how can you not like that? And did I mention that it features a cover by Venom's epic song Warhead with Scott Kelly on vocals? Did I get your attention now? Hope so? If not, please go back to your ABBA arena rock.

This Routine Is Hell - Howl


This LP has been overhyped at TZEEEAC HQ this year alot. We've been spinning it until the needle eroded, it's that good, fast punk, somewhat similar to Ceremony's 'Rohnert Park' but made by some dutch dudes who dance like crazy on stage.

Locrian - Return To Annihilation


Another record, that we got crazy for here at TZEEEAC HQ. I wasn't that crazy for their past stuff, kind of liked The Crystal World, but never really got back to it. I'm not familiar with all their release, since they have a hell of alot, but this one just clicked with me, haunting atmosphere, epic drum beats, epic guitars, and freaking scarry screams, this one's still on my playlist, goes well with the foggy so called winter that's going on here in Romania now.

Ruined Families - Blank Language


Ruined Families is a greek band that kind of changed their style along the years, but still maintaing its sound somewhere in the hardcore area. Blank Language is really cool, because it covers alot of genres in one short and fast record, spanning from post punk to black metal. Imagine Joy Division covering Darkthrone songs with Ian Mackay on vocals, or something like that...trv kvlt kids will hate me.

Ramlord - Crippled Minds, Sundered Wisdom


I haven't listened this year to any stench record, unfortunately, beside this one, and I'm pretty happy I did. It's one of the most filthies stench record ever brought upon this earth. It's dirty, raw and fast. It's got everything you want from a stench record, highly recommend it!

Self Defense Family - Try Me


This one's from the second part of the year. I've been into these guys for some time now, and this record really got to me, highly emotional. The interview part of the record kind of killed it for me, but if you ignore that part, this record is really enjoyable. For fans of Lungfish, of course.

Tera Melos - X'ed Out


I'm getting a little eclectic with this list, but this year just hasen't been that metal for me. This is Tera Melos third or fourth record, and it sees them moving away from their math sound to something, let's say, more pop. Really catchy hooks, and ultra weird atmosphere.

Morne - Shadows


Here's another crust kind of record that I really enjoyed this year, from Portlands crust outfit Morne. Let's say that this record is drifting more and more away from their original sound, that was straight out stenchcore. It kind of goes in a sludgier, maybe funeral direction, 5 tracks of total depression and emotion.

Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty


I absolutely love Chelsea Wolfe. This is her fourth record to date, the previous one, being a collection of acoustic songs. Pain is Beauty molds the sound of her previous two records into one haunting trip. You'll hear sounds raging from doom to dark folk. When I feel down, I listen to this record, and I feel more down.

Cara Neir - Portals to a Better, Dead World


Texas Marco Black Metal outfit Cara Neir, have been around for some time, but they gained alot of hype with Portals to a Better Dead World, their first vinyl release ever. This record combines alot of elements in one beautifully crafted piece of music, you'll hear stuff like Pg.99 screamo elements with filthy dark norwegian black metal.

Baptists - Bushcraft


So the first thing that got my attention towards this record was the cover, so I checked it out, man was I in for a treat. Let's say that if you like Cursed and Converge, you can't not like this, it's short but sweet.

Jungbluth - Part Ache


Back when Alpinist broke up, I was kind of bummed, because I really liked them. But my saddnes didn't last long, because 3 out of 4 members of Alpinist decided to continue under the name of Jungbluth, so basically they sound the same, the message in the songs is the same, and it's still in german. Part Ache is really catchy and aggressive, I only wish I knew German, so I can sing along, but all jokes aside, they have the lyrics in english, and they're worth checking out, because they talk alot about socio-political stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment