December 26, 2013

Robert's Top Albums Thing 2013




As the end of 2013 draws near I can already hear people talking about their plans for next year, their NYE resolutions as well. At this point, I'd like to abuse my power as a Tzeeeac member: Robert’s Favorite Albums of 2013. The list is composed of rather unorthodox entries which would normally get me a pretty bad reputation, but I’ve posted a Drake review before so here it goes :^) :

As a typical disclaimer I'd like to state that they are in no order of preference and should be regarded as such.

Miley Cyrus - Bangerz





Let me start by saying that this album is pretty solid, singles like We won't stop and Wrecking ball make it a new type of music, maybe some of her actions are questionable but this one surely was not. Her voice is good, the beats were good and the themes varied and beautifully expressed.

8,5/10 AND WE CAN'T STOP, AND WE WON'T STOP!

The Strokes - Comedown Machine




This release from my favorite band didn't really impress me that much, but I do admire their change capabilities, Julian's falsetto being a genuinely impressive addition to their eclectic discography. It is an album which makes me melancholic and strangely happy.

7,5/10 - I was expecting a tad more.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience part I




Amazing is the only word fit to describe such a release, not that I would be expecting anything less from JT , absolutely every detail of every song is close to perfection into it's own way. Justin Timberlake has great ideas, themes, collaborations and such. Excellent work Justin. Tied with a certain album, I'd rank this my favorite of the year.

10/10 Let the Groove get in!

Jay Z Magna Carta... Holy Grail




Magna Carta... Holy Grail is a rather interesting album from many points of view, Jay Z managed to take mainstream rap and turn it chic, mixing fame and glory with emotions and creating one of the most inspiring and successful albums of 2013, regardless of his deal with Samsung. Cool songs: Picasso baby, Holy Grail, Tom Ford.

~7,5/10 Jay, that was decent.

Kanye West - Yeezus.



While I may have said that the albums are not in any order, I can definitely say this is the album of the year for me. The innovations brought about are simply astonishing, beats, singing styles, themes, advertising, everything was incredibly well planned and executed. I mean come one, projecting New Slaves across the world on buildings before the album came out , that was awesome.

~10/10 KanYe make some more?

Tyler, The Creator - Wolf




Golf Wang leader Wolf Haley released a very nice album in April, the themes are unsurprisingly dark, twisted, and pretty well exposed. The lyrical content is haunting yet hyperactive and obviously vulgar; Tyler managed to throw in his past and expose the real him. Good effort, I really enjoyed it.

8/10 Tallullah Willis in Tamale

Other albums which were great:
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience part II
Daft Punk - R.A.M.
ASAP FERG - Hood pope
ASAP ROCKY - Long. Live. ASAP
Drake - Nothing was the same


No comments:

Post a Comment