December 23, 2013

Propagandhi - Failed States (2012)



I don't know what is it about December that it always turns out to be some sort of visual/auditory revelation. Be it either music or movies, this last month of the year has the knack of permanently altering my 'top 10 whatever list'.

I was recommended this album after first hearing the opening track, Note To Self. Of a more dwindling nature, with swelling guitars and emerging compositions that reminded me highly of the likes of Tool and such, Note To Self is a beast of an opener. However, I was told the band plays punk, yet this had absolutely nothing to do with it. Thus, I became intrigued.

Turns out it actually is a punk record, albeit not in the style you might expect. You see, this band is pretty old (founded in 1986); however, since I'm not into this genre, I had no idea that they even existed. And while I would have loved to see a full record made only of tracks like Note To Self, the rest of the songs also deliver completely in terms on simple, unadulterated awesomeness.

From the thrashy, evil riffs on Rattan Cane to the pure punk mosh pit enticing Status Update, from the blistering bass and solos on Cognitive Suicide to the WTF! moment on Things I Like, from those all the way to the somewhat effervescent and apocalyptic closer Duplicate Keys Icaro, this thirty seven minute album has its way of mixing metal, hardcore, progressive and a full mature punk sound in ways I could never have though possible, while at the same time feeling as weighty as any good post-metal/sludge record out there.

It is indeed a release that should appeal to any music enthusiast, regardless of personal preferences. If it doesn't for you, then you should seriously consider a mental health check.

Or not. It's your choice anyway, only know that you're missing out on an excellent piece of music.





No comments:

Post a Comment