August 9, 2013

GUEST POST: Modern Life Is War - Fever Hunting (2013)



(Volo is back on TZEEEAC, this time with a review for the comeback album by Modern Life Is War. Trust the man, this album is the shit!)

On April 1st, I was busy doing my everyday shitty corporate job, when I saw a post on Modern Life Is War's Facebook page, stating that they are an active band again and have already written a new record. Being April's Fool day, I thought it had to be a joke, a really cruel one. Turned out it was for real and ever since then I eagerly awaited for it to come out.

I don't know where to start... This record is amazing and the waiting was totally worth it. Only 4 years have passed and it seems like Modern Life Is War haven't lost their edge, Fever Hunting picks up where Midnight in America left.

This is their second album recorded with producer Kurt Ballou, at Godcity in Salem, MA, and again the production is amazing, similar to their past stuff, which is great, because it keeps the band sounding consistent. In my last review I forgot to give props to Brad Boatrigh from Audiosiege for his great mastering job. This record is mastered by him as well and he is a pure genius. If you check out his portfolio you'll be blown away by his versatility: he has mastered records by bands ranging from Sleep to Nails to Pelican. If I was him I'd insure my ears.


Music wise this is a straight up hardcore punk record, nothing less, nothing more. But the way the songs are written and the passion with which they are played make this album stand out. The songs are usually played at a mid tempo beat, so if you're looking for breakdowns and fastcore beats, look away now. Actually no, listen to it, the lack of them actually makes this record more interesting. The riffs are melodic and have a certain epic quality to them, for example the main riff in "Health, Wealth & Peace" just makes me wanna run a stadium and feel good about myself, you know like that Rocky scene when he runs up the stairs. Or maybe it's just me...

Vocalist Jeffrey Eaton just seems to rage in despair from the first notes of "Old Fears New Frontiers" until the last track "Find A way". The lyrics are very catchy, I found myself singing along after just one listen.


After Verse and Give up the Ghost/American Nightmare got back together again, it was Modern Life Is War turn to give it another swing, and what a swing, it knocked down everything around. Fever Hunting has to be one of the best comeback record to be released in the past years. It has everything you liked in their older records with an excellent production, so don't sleep on this! Now if only Have Heart would reconsider their comeback...

You can stream the whole record on Pitchfork Advance and don't forget to get it on wax, because you know it sounds better. Get it on Deathwish.

No comments:

Post a Comment