July 28, 2013

Lorn



Like many who listen to this band (which is actually a one man project), the first song that caught my attention was Soft Room: 


In my defense, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no clue about what genre it belongs to, but the urgency with which that tune crawled its way into my brain was a clear sign that I needed to "go out" on a virtual scavenger hunt and look up more music made by this fine gentleman.

And I did. 

Which is why you haven't heard from me in the last couple of weeks, since I was too busy occupying my littlest of spare time listening to the two existing albums released under the name Lorn, specifically 'Nothing Else' and 'Ask the Dust'.

To my surprise, they are quite different from the song I just showed you, Lorn opting for a more old school take on electronica, without any breakdowns or overly stretched out songs. His focus is on melody and rhythm, and once a track does enough to find its way into the listener's mind, it quickly switches to the next one.

With a dark background ambient, complex arrangements and some aptly placed bass lines, Lorn songs will not make an immediate impact on anyone, so I suggest you take your time with them, if you happen to enjoy this type of music. While it's clearly out of my comfort zone, I've come to fancy these two records quite much.

And with tracks like this one here


you can't really blame me, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment