June 30, 2013

Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" (2013)


My nostalgia-infused love for DAFT PUNK has pushed me to listen to their newest effort a couple of weeks ago. Now, I don't know what the heck was going on with me at that moment but after two songs I just gave up on it. I didn't like it, but I really wished I would. Last week I gave it another chance, and I can say that I'm very happy I did because, apparently, sloppy seconds made it good. Very Good.

I've heard a lot of people say that this album is very different to their other work in the sense that it's disco-influenced, and I couldn't have been happier to hear that these two french masterminds are taking the old sounds and giving their twist on it, making most techno-house fans take their toys and go home, while giving Perturbator and Aphasia Records 80s reinnasance fans like myself a chance to hear some awesome stuff. 

This album has some bad songs I must say. "Game Of Love" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" are pretty boring and bland, making them the LP's weakpoints, but those weakpoints are completely shattered by the rest. Don't get me wrong, "Random Access Memories" has some AMAZING and MEMORABLE songs, and there's quite a lot of them here. My favourites include (except for the too mainstream "Get Lucky") "Giorgio by Moroder" which at first bored me to tears with its lenghtly spoken word intro, but then blasted me into 1979 with its synth waves; "Give Life Back To Music" is classic Daft Punk with an amazing and catchy groove, while "Doin' It Right" is an energy dose of 80s soundhouse pop.

All in all, except for some hit-and-miss tracks, this album just might be one of the greatest 2013 has to offer, and proclaim DAFT PUNK to still be the kings of electronic music. You go guys!

9/10 Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment