May 31, 2013

Ghost - Infestissunam (2013)


Infestissunam has been released for almost two months now, and everyone who knows me is probably aware of the fact that I've been expecting this album like the second coming of (Anti)Christ. To be perfectly honest, I was kinda afraid that Ghost was going to be a one-hit-wonder and that a second album would never come. Thankfully, I was wrong and, since its release, I've been listening to it almost daily. Surely, that must mean it's good, right?

Short answer: yes. 

The long answer is a bit trickier to formulate and it has to do with how uneven the first and second half of the album are. The first half is, for my mind, the weak part of Infestissunam. After a glorious intro of religious choirs proclaiming the rule of the Devil and some sweet guitar work, there's nothing particularly interesting to hold your attention. Secular Haze, Per Aspera Ad Inferi and Year Zero are too long, too repetitive and never really go anywhere (although the latter has a cool surf rock feel to it), while Ghuleh/Zombie Queen is also long but it's Daniel Witchfinder's favorite song and it's really not bad, so I'm not gonna complain.

Guess I'll just have to DEAL WITH IT.

However, among these unremarkable tracks lies the gem called Jigolo Har Megiddo, which is an amazing song, bathed in a lavish, divine atmosphere and lots of unholy eroticism. I've literally had this song stuck in my head for one entire day and I couldn't help myself from humming it as I was walking down the street. I'll tell you right now, Papa Emeritus' vocal parts and naughty lyrics will cause abundant moisture in your panties. Like, check out these lyrics, they make my nipples tingle: 

I am the one who preys on weak
I offer everything they seek
And I am the one who comes richly endowed
Harvesting crops of fields that other have ploughed

The second part of Infestissunam is made up of some unreasonably catchy songs which have been pretty much burned into my brain during these last weeks. Let's see, we have Body and Blood and its wondrous chorus; we have the groove-laden Idolatrine, again with a magnificent chorus and a particularly exciting moment where Papa's voice hits an orgasmic high that will make you quiver in your pants; we have the evil Depth of Satan's Eyes with its infernal imagery and rocking guitar lines; and finally, the perfect album closer, Monstrance Clock, which starts out as a malicious little lullaby, morphs into a heart-aching Satanic anthem and ends with a beautiful male and female choir inviting us all "to come together for Lucifer's son". I couldn't possibly think of a better way to close off this album. 

Despite a few not-so-memorable moments, Infestissunam is one hell of a sophomore album. It veers off into pop-rock territory even more than Opus Eponymous, which isn't a bad thing at all, and the atmosphere is luxurious, erotic and unsettling, all at once. Sure, a few songs may drag out without a satisfying conclusion, but, throughout the album, Papa Emeritus' unmistakable voice (I swear it's even better than on their first album) and the excellent instrumental work will help you forget all about that. 

Was it worth the wait? You bet your sweet ass it was! Infestissunam is definitely one of my favorite albums of 2013 and I know I'll be listening to it for a long time to come. My only concern is that Ghost's novelty may significantly wear off by the release of their third album, but somehow I'm confident that Papa Emeritus and the Nameless Ghouls will manage to keep things fresh, interesting and, above all, blasphemous. Worship!


No comments:

Post a Comment