February 18, 2013

Kalutaliksuak - Last Day of Sun (2008)





That’s right, spell it out, minions! I command thee!

From the cover, one would think it’s some kind of soundtrack to an eastern version of Cirque du Soleil and truth is one wouldn’t be that off. Based mostly on improvisation, what these Russian eccentrics manage to achieve during the course of almost 80 minutes is to paint a passionate landscape composed of cold-as-crazy sounds and spacey (no, not Kevin) interludes, all of them pickled in one giant bowl of cacophonous borscht vocals.

It’s supposed to be about the day-less winter that occurs in the extreme regions of earth, but hell if I know any better.  If it sounds good, it looks good and it feels good, then surely it must BE good.




P.S:  I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more infectious sounding bass guitar. It’s already glued to my brain and I don’t know if it will ever come off.



No comments:

Post a Comment