October 28, 2012

Bloc Party - Four (2012)



I'm going to admit it, I wasn't a big fan of Bloc Party until I heard this record. Sure, 2004's Silent Alarm, their debut album, was pretty cool. Catchy, fast-paced, indie as fuck, these guys really knew what they were doing. But I just didn't enjoy it that much.

After Silent Alarm, they started experimenting - pretentious term used for bands that start adding electronic stuff to their music until it starts putting off the fanbase. I mean yeah, experimentation is almost always a good idea, but I don't think they did it that well on Intimacy, where the guitar riffs were drenched in synth riffs and it was all quite disappointing. After Intimacy, they announced a hiatus, and four years later they released...well...Four.

This beast of a record is the perfect example of how a band can go back on track after fucking up. Just to make sure, they added a bit of everything. At one point they sound like Foo Fighters. Then it's like your typical indie-rock band that sings about love. At some other point they sound like a stoner rock band gone wild. Know what I mean? Fast-paced drumming, fabulous guitar riffs, acoustic bits and fucking epic vocal delivery is what this record is all about. And fuck you, Maddox.

Yes, I said it. Kele Okereke is one awesome motherfucker, and his singing skills are amazing. Great job, man.


Overall, this album is really good and I recommend it to you indie posers. Props to Bloc Party for regaining their awesomeness. Welcome back, fuckers.


No comments:

Post a Comment