June 13, 2012

BEDTIME PODCAST REVIEW: Kissing Contest


As most of you probably don't know, I usually fall asleep while listening to stuff on my iPod because I'm a baby and hearing people talk soothes me. Over the years, I've fallen asleep on countless nights while listening to the amazing Grand Theft Auto talkshows or to George Carlin's endless rants - I've gone through most of his live shows, as well as his audiobooks - and it's all been good. Unfortunately, there's only so many times you can listen to Integrity 2.0 before you start learning all the lines by heart. So, recently, I've turned my attention towards podcasts. It's uncharted territory for me, but I've started exploring various podcasts to support my bizarre nighttime addiction. So Bedtime Podcast Review will be about whatever the fuck I happen to listen to while falling asleep. I hope this will be useful for somebody. And if not, oh well... I tried.

Let's kick things off with my current favorite podcast, Kissing Contest, which is, as the hosts put it, a "comedy podcast about movies, television, sweet boys, pleasant fellows and hard-ass men." The show is usually hosted by Mike and Sawyer, two dudes in Brooklyn, with producer Doan joining in the fun most of the time and a few choice guests coming in from time to time. When it comes to podcasts, the hosts make or break the show, so I'm happy to say that Sawyer, Mike and Doan are some legitimately funny dudes who frequently engage in hilarious banter about whatever movie or actor they're talking about at the time. I've literally chuckled under my blanket more times than I can count while listening to these guys poke fun at movies and at each other. The audio quality is great and each host can be heard clearly, which is obviously a big plus. There are occasional background noises, but they're few and far between.

Gross hobo Sawyer and Nantucket Mike, Kissing Contest's loving hosts.

Each weekly episode of Kissing Contest follows a basic structure with a few segments that carry over between episodes. They usually feature movie news, a run-down of upcoming movies and a segment called Movie Hostage, where Mike and Sawyer force each other to watch movies they've never seen before and talk about it afterwards. They've recently started to regularly feature Snax Chat aka Mike and Doan Eat Shit, which is an entire segment devoted to movie snacks, featuring in-depth reviews of various brands of chips and stuff. It's easily my favorite segment and I look forward to it every time. There are various other topics unique for each episode, like big movie disappointments, best movie athletes, movie reviews, favorite movie babes and other stuff like that.

The episodes all run at about an hour and a half to two hours, so there's plenty of meat on these bones to keep you satisfied until next week's episode rolls over. They're nearing their 100th episode (latest episode is #92) so there's also a sizable archive of older episodes to go through if you're so inclined. All in all, I highly recommend Kissing Contest. It's funny, it's entertaining, it's hosted by some great dudes, it has its fair share of crass humor and, through it all, it still manages to be informative. I always end up with a few "movies I need to watch" notes after each episode.

As a downside, though, I should mention that it got me watching Extreme Couponing and My Strange Addiction. Those are some god-awful shows and I wish I had never heard of them.

Useful links:

Kissing Contest Bloghttp://kissingcontest.wordpress.com/
Kissing Contest on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/ro/podcast/kissing-contest/id390568857
Kissing Contest on Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/kissingcontest

No comments:

Post a Comment